To all our April birthdays out there: Happy Birthday!! April’s gemstone is the Diamond, which means you have just one more reason why you need more diamonds in your life! In case you need any more reasons, here are a few fun facts about one of the most desirable stones discovered:
- Diamonds were created billions of years ago and come in every color, ranging from yellows and browns to pinks and purples.
- The largest rough diamond is known as the Cullinan Diamond, which was found in South Africa in 1905. It weighed 3,106 carats and was given to King Edward.
- Compared to other countries around the world the U.S. doesn’t produce many diamonds, but it buys more than 40% of the world’s gem quality diamonds, which makes it the largest diamond market in the world!
- The word Diamond comes from the Greek word, “adamas” which means unconquerable or invincible. In ancient times, the gem was believed to promote strength, invincibility, and courage when worn.
- The top three diamond mines in the world are Botswana, Russia, and Canada, totaling nearly 53 million carats.