5 fun facts about October’s birthstone - Opal
Create New Account
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016
- Opal is known for its unique display of flashing rainbow colors called play-of-color.
- Opals are made up of sub-microscopic spheres stacked in a grid-like pattern similar to layers of Ping-Pong balls in a box. This structure breaks up light into spectral colors and the colors you see depend upon the size of the spheres.
- The Bedouins believed that opals contained lightning and fell from the sky during thunderstorms.
- Opal contains up to 20% water trapped in its silica structure.
- In ancient Rome, Opal symbolized love and hope.