- Special Price $136.00 Regular Price $170.00
- Special Price $170.40 Regular Price $213.00
- Special Price $91.20 Regular Price $114.00
- Created Cushion Cut Opal & Round White Sapphire Halo Cuff Bracelet in Sterling Silver - ZB8504SB00358Special Price $68.00 Regular Price $85.00
- Special Price $320.00 Regular Price $400.00
Opals have been prized by Western cultures since ancient Roman times. In fact, anthropologists have found ancient opal artifacts dating back almost 6,000 years, and the Aztecs were mining opal nearly 500 years ago. Traditionally, opal has been known as the most magical of stones because it displays all colors combined. Middle Eastern folklore declares that opals are created by lightning, and in Europe, opal symbolizes purity and hope.
Opal is known for its phenomena, play-of-color. This occurs because opals are made up of sub-microscopic spheres stacked in a grid-like pattern similar to layers of ping-pong balls in a box. This structure breaks up light into spectral colors. The colors you see depend upon the sizes of the spheres.
October Birthstone - 14th Wedding Anniversary
|Ultrasonic: Never||Enhancements: Heat treated for color|
|Phenomena: Play-to-color||Hardness: 5-6.5|
|Heat: Never||Steamer: Never|
|Major source: Australia, Brazil, Mexico||Toughness: Fair to low|
|Stability: May develop hairline fractures as a result of water loss from age, exposure, or intense light|